Search This Blog

Sunday, June 19, 2011

Family Travel Survival Guide, or rather, how to get out alive...

Everyone loves vacations, and although I love to travel, for some people, it brings on it's own stress. I do have to say though that traveling with the small one just isn't exactly the same as it was pre-baby... That being said, I try to make it as enjoyable as possible. Here are a few tips & tricks, I've learned along the way and some I have learned from friends and will save for my own sanity in the future.

Before you go:


First of all, resist the urge to overpack. Why is it that all of a sudden, after your child is born you suddenly need eighteen carry-ons and four diaper bags? Yes, unexpected things can happen, but if you overburden yourself with baggage, you’ll have less hands available for your kids. And you know what? You probably don't need all that extra stuff anyway, and if you do, you can get it on the road, when, and if you do need it. That being said, there are a few things I recommend to bring with you to save you a headache, and maybe a little $$.

  1. Your car-seat: If you are traveling with a little one who still requires a car seat, and likes his/her current car seat, and plan on renting a car during your vacation, bring it with you. Most airlines will let you check it for free and you will save yourself some $$ with your car rental, as they charge you per day for an add-on car seat (some up to 10$/day !?!). The other reason is that your child is probably used to its car-seat. When E was 3 months and we traveled to Scotland, and the Vancouver, we didn't think of this and she would cry the minute she got into the car, almost until the minute she got out, and we couldn't figure out why, since she never did this at home. We realized the car-seat must have been very uncomfortable, and have been bringing our car-seat along ever since, without problems. If you do get stuck with an uncomfortable car-seat, try buying an inexpensive blanket somewhere to give the seat extra padding. We bought something similar to this one while in Vancouver and it made things a little better.
  2. Baby Carrier: Invest in an awesome one and do your research before you do. After going through this terrible one, this one was okay, and I did get alot of use out of it, but it had its weight limits, I then bought this one (used on craigslist... thank god) which turned out to be as bulkey as it looks and a total pain to carry around with us, to finally get this one, which I wish I had bought to begin with as it has an infant insert so you can use it from the get -go. E is 3 and since she has been walking for a while now, I haven't used a stroller in over a year, but I am still bringing this with me this summer as the carrier is good for kids up to 45lbs (it has been tested for up to 90lbs) and E is nowhere near that. It folds up into nothing and is perfect in case she gets tired and doesn't want to walk anymore. I only wish I had known about it earlier.
  3. Travel toys: Bring some toys to entertain which will keep their interest throughout the trip. This way you can use them on the plane (or in the car), during the vacation and on your way back and they will still be interested. Try to get small or travel-sized toys to avoid overpacking. I have a few previous posts on some great travel toys, and for other suggestions, check out this awesome site.

During your trip:


Plan for naps. If your child is still napping, plan for naps. Not only for your child, but for your own sanity. This breaks up the day nicely into a morning activity, and an afternoon one. Try to stick to your child's daily routine as much as possible.

Think of your child, but also think of yourself. Some parents go on vacation, say to Disney, spend their day catering to their children, running after them, and then wonder why they feel like they need a vacation when they return. Others plan awesome activities for themselves, and wonder why their kids are behaving so badly (take a hint, they're not interested and they don't want to relax). So if you must go to Disney, why not limit yourself to a couple of days, and extend your vacation to a non-theme-park resort where you can relax (maybe somewhere with a spa and a kids program). Or, if you must go see the only Frank Lloyd Wright house open to the public (fyi - no children under 7 allowed - for a reason) do yourself, and them, a favor and go do something the kids will enjoy. It's all about balance. I have my 1/3-1/3-1/3 rule for a reason.

In the Car:


I don't own a portable DVD player. Many parents I know do, and swear by them for road trips. I feel E watches enough television while we're home that she doesn't need to while we're away. I also know that I will probably change my mind in a few years, where a 2 hour film will buy me two hours of peace (headphones will be a requirement, when the time comes). What I do own though are lots of kids cds. We buy a few new ones before each trip knowing very well we won't want to hear them by the time we return. E really loves singing along and it does distract her while she's in the car, and until she falls asleep. This site, has great suggestions, which go beyond the usual.

Car sickness, or motion sickness, is also an unfortunate part of life. Here are two great articles which will hopefully save you from making that unpleasant pit stop.

Lastly, although I know you all love my blog, there are lots of other great talented writers who have amazing ideas and insight for your upcoming travels. The awesome folks at Delicious Baby have compiled an amazing resource of the best family travel blogs. Check it out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment